official Website of the Brighton Sub Branch of the RSL

Site menu:

Latest News

Links:

Minutes AGM 25/3 and Management Committee 17/4/18

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the BRIGHTON Sub-Branch held in the Clubrooms on Sunday 25 MARCH 2018 at 10am

WELCOME: The President Trevor Whitelaw welcomed the twenty-nine members present.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: The pledge of Allegiance was read by all present.

APOLOGIES: J. Hancock, T. Howard, Ken and Barb Hayes, S. Murray, J. Pope, C. Penney, V. Peterson

HONOUR ROLL: The Secretary read out the names of members that had passed away since the last Annual General Meeting. (See attached)

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING: This was the Annual General Meeting held on April 2, 2017 Copies had been posted in the Clubroom and online. The President asked that the Minutes be taken as read. So Moved: G. Shipley, Seconded P. Brammer. All in favour.

TREVOR WHITELAW OAM: Mr. Spencer reported that this was the first General members meeting since the Australia Day Honours were announced. He congratulated Mr. Whitelaw on his Order of Australia Medallion.

CORRESPONDENCE: There was no correspondence since the last Management Committee meeting.

MEMBERSHIP SUMMARY: See attached. A copy had been given to all present.

PRESIDENT’S REPORT: See attached.

SECRETARY’S REPORT: See attached.

TREASURER’S REPORT: See attached.
In the absence of Mr. Howard, Mr. Whitelaw read the report, and the pertinent report of the Auditor, Mr. Stephen Allchurch. The Auditor’s report is also attached.
Moved Brenton Griffiths, seconded Jim Huckstepp that the Treasurer’s Report be accepted. All in favour.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
(1) HOUSE & PROPERTY (Jim Nicholson)
(a) Thanks were extended to the work of Maurie Cornish and Jim Nicholson in addressing the issues usually within 24 hours.
(b) New hot water service installed
(c) BBQ upgraded
(d) New stove installed
(2) BAR & ROSTER (Bryan Lee & Chris Lee)
(a) Thanks to Don Pridmore, Ben Fenech and Roger Wesson for cleaning assistance.
(b) Thanks to Jim Nicholson and SA Brewery for their help.
(c) Chris Lee has taken over the bar roster from Allen Hurst. Thanks were extended to both.
(d) Night Owls trading was significantly down, and the BBC will have to address that for next season.
(e) Winter trading hours has had to be moved forward one month as there are a large number of bar staff away.
(3) CATERING & SOCIAL
(a) Mr. Bulger was absent from the meeting.
(b) Licensed Victualler’s day is coming up.
(c) BBC end of season day in April.
(4) WOMEN’S COMMITTEE
(a) Jo Whitelaw reported that there were 8 active members who supported Sub-branch activities as required and sadly reported on the retirement of Terri Shaw who is moving interstate.
(5) WORK PLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY
(a) Ian Peterson mentioned the need for constant vigilance in this regard and he has placed a
Certificates folder in the office.
(6) 5 YEAR PLAN
(a) Michael Pope mentioned the need for continual monitoring and appropriate actions.
(7) ALMONER (See Attached)
(a) Ken was absent from the meeting. His report was read by the President. Thanks were again extended to Ken and Barbara (Mr. Crisp had paid tribute to their work in the Secretary’s Report.)
(b) Ken and Bill Jolley have been updating the Trevor Whitelaw Library.
(8) HALL HIRE
(a) Thanks to Jimmy Nicholson and Trevor Whitelaw.
(b) This has become an important source of income.
(9) HONORARIA REPORT (T. Whitelaw)
T. Whitelaw detailed Honoraria for the major Office Bearers. Moved Brenton Griffiths, Seconded Jim Huckstepp that the list be approved. All in favour.

AFFILIATE LIFE MEMBERSHIP: Mr. Whitelaw reported on the tremendous amount of work for the Sub-branch performed by Mr. George Shipley over many years. To the acclaim of the meeting Mr. Shipley was named as an Affiliate Life Member of the Club. Mr. Whitelaw congratulated George and presented him with his Affiliate Life Member’s Certificate.

RSL STATE AFFILIATE LIFE MEMBER: Mr. Whitelaw reported on the service of Affiliate Life Member Paul Spencer for the Sub-branch over the past 15 years. To the acclaim of the meeting Mr. Whitelaw advised that the nomination of Mr. Spencer as a State Affiliate Life Member would be presented to Headquarters.

STATE HEAD OFFICE REPORT
(a) Mr. Whitelaw is now the President of the RSL State Board, in addition to his position in the Sub-branch. He gave a report on current activities.
(b) Last year Mr. Whitelaw had spoken on the training of dogs for Operation K9. He sought the remit of that meeting that under stringent conditions that this Sub-Branch be financially responsible for the training of one assistance dog. This was expected to cost in the region of $30,000 spread over the period of training, expected to be about 9 months.
Mr. Whitelaw noted that no action in this regard had happened in the past year and sought the continued remit of the meeting that this item be carried over for the next year. Moved Jim Huckstepp, seconded John Ellis that this be done. All in favour
(c) The Sub-branch will continue at this stage to support the Pensions Office at Plympton – Glenelg Sub-branch.

ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS
The President declared positions vacant and asked Allen Hurst OAM to act as Returning Officer. Mr. Hurst noted that the positions of Senior Vice President (Mr. Jim Nicholson), Treasurer (Mr. Terry Howard) and Assistant Secretary (Mr. Michael Pope) were elected for two years in 2017.

Those elected for 2018 were:
PRESIDENT TREVOR WHITELAW OAM (1 YEAR)
JUNIOR VICE PRESIDENT GRAHAM BULGER (TWO YEARS)
ASSISTANT TREASURER GEORGE SHIPLEY (TWO YEARS)
SECRETARY PHIL CRISP (TWO YEARS)
COMMITTEE (1YEAR) MONIQUE CUTTING
IAN PETERSON
PERRI BRAMMER
BRYAN LEE
CHRIS LEE

Mr. Hurst noted that this left one Committee position vacant which is to be filled by the Committee if deemed necessary.

OTHER APPOINTMENTS
PATRON MAYOR OF THE CITY OF HOLDFAST BAY
ALMONER KEN HAYES
EXTERNAL AUDITOR ALLCHURCH & CO
SEAL HOLDERS JIM HUCKSTEPP, JOHN ELLIS & PAUL SPENCER
ANZAC DAY CO-ORDINATOR ROD MURRAY

GENERAL BUSINESS
(1) There was no general business to report

MEETING CLOSED AT 11.20AM. NIBBLES HAD BEEN PREPARED BY Women’s Auxiliary. Thanks to Jo Whitelaw, Betty Crisp and Sandie Howard.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MINUTES OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING OF THE BRIGHTON RSL SUB-BRANCH HELD AT THE CLUBROOMS
TUESDAY 17 APRIL 2018 AT 6PM

COMMITTEE Members Present : T. Whitelaw (President ), J. Nicholson ( Vice President ), P. Crisp (Minutes & Secretary), T. Howard (Treasurer), G. Shipley , I Peterson, C Lee, B. Lee G. Bulger, M. Pope
MEMBERS Present:
Apologies: P. Brammer, M. Cutting
Minutes of the previous meeting dated 13 March 2018 had been distributed and read.
Action points from this meeting:
1. Camera Servicing. Ongoing. Priority after Anzac Day
2. Re Sealing of crack in light tower bases. Ongoing
3. Costing for LED lights for Flood Lights on Greens referred to JMC. Awaiting G Mac
4. Monique re sausage sizzles. Ongoing
5. Paul re stickers on entry door. Waiting Lange Signs. Ongoing
6. EFTPOS Anzac Day – Terry – Ordered to be returned before May
7. Snooker Tables. Terry to speak to BBC re relocation of scoring boards

CORRESPONDENCE
IN:

1. Robyn Turner re WWI descendants. Unable to find any reference
2. Resthaven for additional use of snooker tables. Phil has spoken to Mike from Resthaven.
3. Hon. Darren Chester MP – educational sources for Anzac Day school awards competition.
4. Consumer and Business Services – approval for Anzac Day extension to Ringwood carpark. Placed next to existing License
5. Legacy – donation request form. Treasurer to check. Payment to be made in September.
OUT:
1. Robyn Turner – email sent re inability to help.

MEMBERSHIP SUMMARY (see attached) No Member movements for the month.

TREASURER’S REPORT (Terry Howard)
1. Capitation is lower than at the same stage as last year
2. City of Holdfast Bay and the ESPY have both donated towards the running costs of Anzac Day
3. Expenses are down c$3,000 compared to last year

COMMITTEE REPORTS
(1) HOUSE AND PROPERTY (J. Nicholson)
a. Repair to freezer pipes to be done this Thursday
(2) BAR & ROSTER (B. Lee & C. Lee)
(a) Lot of stock purchased for Anzac Day
(b) Chris Lee thanked Volunteer staff for their assistance on what was a very busy week (Bowls most days)
(3) WORKPLACE H & S (Ian Peterson)
(a) Walk around inspection to be held in May.
(b) BBC members being trained on catering health issues in the kitchen
(c) Fire Evacuation procedure map to be updated (reported by George)
(4) CATERING & SOCIAL (G. Bulger)
(a) Nothing to report
(5) HALL HIRE (Jimmy & Trevor)
(a) Busy April ahead, and nothing as yet for May.
(6) WOMEN’S COMMITTEE
(a) Shopping Centres this Thursday re Anzac badges.
(b) Thanks expressed by the Management Committee for the wonderful catering at AGM
(7) JOINT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
(a) No action
(8) 5 YEAR PLAN (Michael Pope & Terry Howard)
(a) Discussion held on future plans
(9) ALMONER Report (Ken Hayes )
(a) Ken’s report read to Meeting, Ken and Barbara’s work appreciated by all.
(10) LIBRARY REPORT (Ken Hayes)
(a) Mr Hayes and Mr. Spencer to revise book holdings
GENERAL BUSINESS
1. $300 to be given to Invictus Games
2. Anzac Day – Informal Meeting this Friday
3. Chris Lee – to be contact point for staff for BBC and RSL events. George to be contact for staff for
outside functions. ACTION: BBC to be advised. (Phil)
4. Anzac Day – No snooker and No bowls
5. Money being held for Assistance Dog – payment to be made to the Royal Society for the Blind in May.
6. One of the extra EFTPOS Machines from Anzac Day is to be retained on a permanent basis. Moved Terry Howard, Seconded Ian Peterson

NEXT MANAGEMENT MEETING TUESDAY 15 MAY 2018 AT 6pm
NB. One week late

Financial members are always welcome to attend meetings and are encouraged to do so.